Friday, March 13, 2009

Our new family

On March 4 2009 at 10:26pm Scott and I were blessed with a beautiful baby boy. We named him Peyton Scott Burningham. He weighed 5lbs. 13oz. and was 18 inches long. The day was quite a surprise because I had gone into the hospital for a simple non stress test to make sure that Peyton was still healthy and thriving, which he was. I had been there for a couple of hours and was expecting to have finished when my nurse came in and told me I would need to make some phone calls because I was going to have a baby!!! The first words out of my mouth were "Are you serious!?" And the nurse said "Yep, you're having a baby tonight." It turned out that I was the one the nurses were more concerned about because I had high blood pressure that just wasn't getting under control. And because I had high blood pressure I had a higher risk of having a seizure, so they decided to be better safe than sorry and induced me. I called Scott to tell him the good news and all he said was "What?" Then I think reality set in and he started to get nervous. I told him he needed to go home to get everything we needed to bring Peyton home. I'm surprised he remembered everything because he seemed flustered on the phone. I then called my mom because I was all alone at the hospital and Scott wouldn't be there for an hour and a half to two hours. So my mom came to keep me company while I waited to be moved to a birthing room. It was around 2:45 when I was moved into a birthing room and induced into labor. Things went smoothly once I was given an epidural. I think while I was resting Scott and my mom were getting anxious because every time I would have a contraction Peyton's heart rate would drop. The nurses were great in keeping tabs on me because around 10:00 Peyton's heart rate had dropped below 60 and they came running in the room and threw me on my side. They called my doctor and within seven minutes I was in the operating room. I was a little nervous but things were happening so fast that it wasn't too bad. Scott was able to be in the room with me which was really nice or I think I would have been a lot more nervous. It felt like I was gone for only a few minutes but it was more like an hour. It was so fun to see my family in my room when I got back. The excitement in the air was very infectious. Everyone was taking pictures and laughing and checking Peyton to make sure he had all his fingers and toes. I was kind of out of it because of the medication but I remember some of what was going on. It was quite a night. Very surreal. Having Peyton home has been so much fun but an extreme adjustment. I have been spoiled rotten with this sweet and mellow baby. He has been so patient with me as I adjust to being a mom. I am so grateful to have him in my life. Scott and I have waited nearly three years for him and I already can't imagine not having him in my life. Scott has been an amazing father and my love grows so much for him as I see him play and cuddle with Peyton. He has been my rock when I have my emotional moments and he calms my nerves. A huge adventure has just begun for me and Scott, and I can't wait to see what the future holds for our new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment